The Security Bond is a binding pledge to pay the Singapore government (up to $5,000) if you break the law or the conditions governing the employment of a maid.
The Security Bond is usually bundled with the maid’s personal accident insurance.
You will be discharged from the security bond liability (usually within a week) if you meet all of these conditions:
- You have cancelled the Work Permit.
- The maid has returned home.
- You did not breach any of the conditions of the security bond.
Your security bond may be forfeited if:
- You or your maid violate any of the conditions of the Work Permit or security bond.
- You don’t pay her salary on time.
- You fail to send her back when her Work Permit is expired, revoked or cancelled, or if she goes missing. If the maid goes missing half of the security bond ($2,500) will be forfeited if you have made reasonable effort to locate her and have filed a police report.
You will not be liable for your maid’s violations (such as those relating to pregnancy) if you can prove that you have:
- Informed her of the Work Permit conditions she must comply with.
- Reported a violation when you first become aware of it.